‘Latest News’ is the blog for Penistone Leisure Centre.
People can see the blog posts:
- When you publish your post, it is also posted to Facebook automatically if you tick ‘send to facebook’ on the right. The important thing to remember about this is that every time you update the post (e.g. if you spot a spelling mistake) it will send it to facebook again, so it’s often best to untick ‘send to facebook’ after you’ve done it once.
- Each Thursday, all the previous week’s blog posts are pulled into a newsletter and sent out to everyone on the Penistone Leisure Centre email list. Different people receive different versions of the newsletter, depending on what they chose on the sign-up form. It is important that you select which categories (‘Skating and Children’, ‘Gym and Classes’, ‘Volunteer News’) your blog post fits into, otherwise it will not be sent to interested people in the newsletter. Always tick ‘latest news’ – that’s for people who want to hear about everything.
- Full list on the ‘Latest News’ page, which you get to from the menu at the top right
- Extracts from the 3 most recent at the bottom of the Home page
To add a new blog post:
- Go to ‘Latest News’ in the side menu, then select ‘Add New’ when it drops down in the sub-menu below
- Add a title and put your text in the main area, formatting with the top toolbar like a word document
- To add a picture, click the ‘add media’ button and choose from pictures already on the site, or upload a new one
- To add a link to another page, another website or an email address
- Select the text you want to become the link then click the button in the toolbar that looks like a piece of chain
- Type the website address into the URL box, including http://, or select a page or post from the list (type in a search term to narrow it down)
- Click to arrow on the right to apply the link.
- If the link is to another website, click on the cog to get to settings and check the ‘Open link in a new window/tab’ box
- For an email, type ‘mailto:’ into the URL box followed by the email address – don’t put a space after mailto:
- Choose a category/categories (right hand sidebar). This is to ensure the blog post goes into the weekly newsletter. Options are:
- Gym and Classes
- Latest News – this is a catch-all, always select this one as it goes to people who asked to get all news.
- Add tags (right hand sidebar).
- You can add as many as are relevant to your post, choose from the most used ones or add new ones
- Tags help google and other search engines find your post
- Include the name of any page you want this blog post to appear in (in a list in the sidebar) as a tag
What to put in a blog post:
Blog posts can be any length. Pictures are nice, but not essential if you haven’t much time
- New classes or sessions
- Advertise events
- Cancelled sessions – either temporary due to holiday/illness, or because they are not running any more
- Thanks to people who have done a job or made a donation
- Write-ups of how an event has gone (with pictures!)
- Write-ups of how sessions or classes are going, to encourage people to come along. Show (with pictures) what happens in the session, get some quotes from people attending, give numbers, say who it is for
- Requests for volunteers for regular jobs or for a one-off event such as painting
- Send out a survey to get opinions
- Useful information about health or fitness
When to write a blog post:
- It’s best not to write more than one post about the same thing in a week, as it will fill up the newsletter and will seem odd as people will see it all at the same time. Instead, add extra info to the post you have already written
- If you are writing frequent (e.g. weekly) posts about the same thing (e.g. advertising a new class that is starting), make each post significantly different. For example, one could be about who the session is for, another could describe what was going to happen in a typical session, another provide links to skills or pictures of them, another be from someone attending the session and what they thought of it, another about the class leader…